Saddlehill Cellars features a 150 seat farm-to-table bistro with a tasting room for wine tastings which will be open for lunch and dinner, serving delicious menu items made primarily with farm-produced ingredients. In addition to selling its estate-crafted wines in the retail shop, as well as through its wine club, there will be offerings of foods from ingredients grown on the farm, in the fruit orchard, and on the vegetable fields, such as jams, sauces, spreads, and honey.
We're looking for a highly motivated and experienced Sous Chef who will thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
Accountable for overall success of the daily kitchen operations. Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Works to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget. Supervises all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced. Responsible for guiding and developing staff including direct reports. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved.
Essential Job Functions
- General responsibilities revolve around assisting the Chef de Cuisine with the management of the Back of the House staff on a daily basis
- This role is hands-on and requires attention to detail along with a positive work attitude
- The Sous Chef must plan and direct how the food is presented on the plate, keep the kitchen staff focused and on task, train new staff, and make sure all food that goes to the customer is of the best quality, while maintaining high standards
- Sous Chef must thoroughly understand how to use and troubleshoot all appliances and cooking instruments in the event of a malfunctioning cooking device
- Sous Chef must enforce restaurant policy and invoke disciplinary action when appropriate
- During downtime, Sous Chef delegates duties such as prepping, cleaning and other kitchen duties to staff
- Responsible for assisting CDC with inventory, product, as well as menu creation
- Responsible for ensuring all safety and sanitation precautions are taken to maintain a safe and clean work environment
- Sous Chef directly supervises all hourly kitchen staff, including dishwashers, polishers and BOH staff. Ensures employees understand expectations and parameters.
- Produces high quality dishes that follow the established menu;
- Maintains order and discipline in the kitchen during working hours;
- Works with the Chef de Cuisine to produce seasonal, farm-to-table menus
- Must maintain a positive and professional manner with coworkers and customers
- Assists Chef de Cuisine with attaining mandated budgeted costs for the kitchen
- Ensures the kitchen operates in a timely manner while meeting quality standards of the restaurant;
- Orders supplies to maintain appropriate inventory;
- Comply with and enforce sanitation and safety regulations;
- Minimum of 2 years prior kitchen supervisory or kitchen management experience
- Minimum of 2 years of previous polished casual or fine dining experience preferred
- Ability to work flexible shifts and days of the week including holidays/ weekends. Has reliable transportation and be on time.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Basic computer proficiency preferred
Compensation and Benefits :Competitive Rate, Paid time off, 401K, healthcare options available.
We are open 6 days a week for lunch and dinner
Weekends/ Evening Shifts
Part Time/ Full Time Lunch Hours 10.30- 5pm. Dinner Hours: 4.30pm-11pm