Winery Tasting Room and Farm-to-Table Bistro
Soon to be one of the region’s most popular food and wine destinations
Bill Green, entrepreneur, investor, philanthropist, and author, purchased the historic Stafford Farm in Voorhees, NJ, in March of 2021. The farm has a rich history, dating back to 1773, when the farm was gifted by George Washington to his personal guard, Lt John Stafford, and it was owned by the Stafford family until 2005. After over 150 years of traditional farming, the Stafford’s were then primarily in the business of harness racing, breeding, and training on its iconic half-mile training track.
After 15 years of being an eyesore and a blight property, Green has transformed the 69.8 state agriculturally preserved farm into a 27-acre vineyard with a 15,000-case capacity, state-of-the art winery, and is currently constructing its 7,000-sq ft tasting room and farm-to-table wine-pairing bistro. Saddlehill’s entire utility infrastructure has been brought up to current standards, and a beautiful 12-stall horse barn has been built for its horse breeding operation, as well as providing a home for the farm’s four alpacas. Green believes his horse-themed winery, bistro, farm and flower gardens will be one of the region’s most popular food and wine destinations.
Saddlehill’’s patron demographic is exceptional among wineries in the US. The property is only 12 miles from Center City, Philadelphia, the country’s fifth-largest city, and its 13-mile South Jersey radius hosts a population of over 150,000 people.
The tasting room’s farm-to-table wine-pairing bistro will be open for lunch and dinner, serving delicious menu items made primarily with farm-produced ingredients . In addition to selling its estate-crafted wines in the retail shop, as well as through its wine club, there will be offerings of foods from ingredients grown on the farm, in the fruit orchard, and on the vegetable fields, such as jams, sauces, spreads, and honey.
Following the agritourism business model, Saddlehill will offer vineyard, winery, and farm tours, on-site entertainment, educational events, as well offering the venue for special occasion events to support its wine and farm grown product sales.
Job Description Summary
We are looking for a creative, talented and proficient chef in all aspects of food preparation, Chef De Cuisine. You will be “the chief” and maintain complete control of the kitchen and be part of Saddlehill’s Management Team.
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to overseeing food production, special events functions and staff management including hot line, cold line, dish area and expo.
- Develops seasonal menus that reflect our farm-to-table concept using available seasonal foods from our farm and source from local purveyors.
- Familiar with menu creation and recipe cards to ensure proper portion sizes are being served; oversees menu tastings and conducts staff training as necessary.
- Hires, trains and manages all kitchen staff; manage performance by setting objectives, deliver performance reviews, provide ongoing performance feedback and administer corrective action when needed
- Monitors and train staff on proper sanitation procedures, health code standards and ensure proper preparation of all food menu items
- Provides the highest quality of customer service to the customers at all times, to include ensuring the proper training of all staff and supporting associates to ensure customer satisfaction and product quality
- Controls labor cost while staffing according to business needs and plan schedule appropriately for events
- Conducts regular department walk-throughs and random food tastings.
- Oversees and executes all functions of the food department to meet the daily needs of the operation
- Be available for appearances for functions as necessary; participate in weekly departmental meetings
Ensures that representatives from the kitchen attend service lineups and meetings; periodically visits the dining area when it is open to welcome guests.
- Implements effective controls of food, beverage and labor costs to ensure efficient operation and expenditures stay within budget limitations
- Ensures compliance with all policies and procedures that relate to F & B, as well as local, state and federal laws and regulations
- Ensures safety of team members and cleanliness of facility and equipment
- Monitors inventory of food, beverages and supplies to ensure we are meeting par requirements in all areas
- Assists in conducting monthly food inventories, ordering and receiving food products and other supplies
- Keeps store rooms,refrigerator and freezer organized according to health code standards
- Ensures the kitchen is clean, inventory levels are appropriate, and equipment is working properly
- Complies with company operation procedures, as well as those of all applicable regulatory agencies, and ensures on a daily basis that all products are prepared and presented in accordance with brand or company standards
- Evaluates products to assure that quality, price and related goods are consistently met. Develops policies and procedures to enhance and measure quality; continually updates written policies and procedures to reflect techniques, equipment and terminology. ·
- Establishes and maintains a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment.
- Support safe work habits and a safe working environment at all times. ·
Full-time * 401(k) matching * Health insurance * * Paid time off *